Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Invitation Process

As a senior at Boston University I spent most of my final year fretting over what I ought to do after graduation. At first I had intended on heading straight into law school, but I reconsidered and decided that I should take a year off to gain additional work experience. I then began the frustrating and seemingly never-ending task of identifying and applying to potential jobs; nothing intriguing came my way. So around February, I began to think about Peace Corps again. I had previously decided against it thinking that 27 months was just too long of a commitment but the more I thought about it, the better it sounded and ultimately, I applied in March. After slogging through the lengthy application and enduring a two-hour interview, my recruiter informed me in May of my nomination to serve as a Health Extension volunteer in Africa in September.

Graduation rapidly approached, I shed a few tears and moved back to San Diego to mooch off of my mother while I went through the medical clearance process. I've been told by numerous people that I ought to write a book about my experiences gaining medical clearance; perhaps, some day I will, but the public domain does not seem the adequate outlet for that news, so those of you who are curious will just have to wait until later publication! I can tell you though, that it took me almost five months to gain medical clearance. The entire process truly tested my patience and my dedication to serve as a volunteer. There were numerous times when I felt like giving up and I send my heartfelt thanks out to all those who helped me through that process with their encouraging words.

In late September, as I was leaving work, my mother called me to tell me that there was a message on the phone from Peace Corps -- I was leaving in November! I sat in the parking lot outside my work trying to digest the news; I was trying not to panic. Owing to the fiasco of gaining medical clearance, my Placement Officer had informed me in August that I would not be leaving until January 2007 at the earliest. Furthermore, at the time, I was not aware that I had been medically cleared as I had just faxed out the latest requests to the Office of Medical Services a few days prior and was still awaiting a reply.

Thus, the phone call came as a complete shock. I was preparing for a 2007 departure. I was looking forward to spending one more holiday season with my family. I had just bought health insurance lasting through March. I was quite enjoying the French course I was taking at night. And most importantly, I had a mental schedule of everything I needed to accomplish before my departure and I didn’t know if I could get it all done without those two additional months. I didn't know whether I should accept the placement or convince PC that I needed a later one.

So at first, I was panicked. But then, a few days later, my invitation packet arrived in the mail and everything became clearer. There was no questioning, no choice. I read the word ‘Namibia’ and I knew. Without much knowledge of the country or my placement, I fell in love with it. From then on, there was no possibility of rejection.

I’ve had about five weeks to prepare; many volunteers have two or more months to do so. Thus, the past few weeks have been all-the-more overwhelming. I’ve spent my days rushing through the pages and pages of checklists I’ve written, completing countless tasks. Although I certainly could have used more time to prepare, I am excited and anxious to begin my tour of service. I leave on November 5 for a few days of training (called Staging) D.C. before heading out as a member of Nam 26 (the 26th group of PC Volunteers to serve in Namibia). I can hardly wait!

1 Comments:

At 12:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there,

I just wanted to send you a note and just let you know that I am in the same mess of medical clearance and will be recieving clearance once March rolls around (I had to be a full year post-thyroid treatment.. blah blah) but yes, I was loosing hope and loosing focus on going into the peace corps and it has been really encouraging to read that you had similar complications and still ended up serving. Thanks for posting your struggles. It helped me keep the faith. Hope things in Namibia are still going great! Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home