Saturday, November 04, 2006

The Packing List

A few people have asked me how one packs for a two-year stint in Africa. My shorthand answer would be: very carefully. Peace Corps provided me with some general guidelines as to what I ought to bring; however, I will not find out which region of Namibia my permanent site will be located in until a few weeks into training. Therefore, I do not know if I will be sweating it out in the 120 degree Southern Kalahari desert or if I will be a bit cooler up in the Northern elevated regions. I also do not know if I will have electricity or running water, if I will be living independently or with another volunteer or a host family, or if I will be located in a village or in a larger town. Since I know nothing about my permanent site, I’ve had to be a bit flexible with packing and I’ve tried to accommodate for as many scenarios as possible. Most likely, I have over-packed but in this particular instance I believe it is better to over-pack than to arrive without the necessities. Of course, I may regret this later when I have to lug over 100 pounds through the desert!

My packing list was developed through extensive research into what former and current PCVs brought to Namibia. I would like to thank them for posting their packing lists on their blogs and for answering my group’s questions on our Yahoo support group. They have all been extremely helpful.

I would also like to thank those individuals who helped me pack, went shopping with me, listened to me moan about my lack of concrete knowledge, or provided me with gift certificates or items to help me defray the costs of this expedition. Their assistance is more appreciated than they even know. So thank you to my mother, father, co-workers in San Diego, Stella and Joe, and bosses from Boston for their contributions; without them I would have spent a small fortune acquiring all this stuff!

Clothing
2 pairs of pants
1 pair of jeans
2 skirts
4 long-sleeved shirts
10 shirts
2 undershirts
2 pairs of pajamas
~20 pairs of socks
~20 pairs of underwear
4 bras
sweatshirt
sweater
fleece jacket
scarf (handmade by Agnes!)
gloves
winter hat
B.U. baseball cap
belt
swimsuit
3 bandanas (one is insect-repelling!)
Tilley hat (early b-day gift from Mom)

Shoes
tennis shoes
Chaco sandals
hiking boots
casual shoes
flip flops
extra shoe laces

Toiletries
feminine hygiene products
camp towel (its like a shammy)
toilet paper
bath sponge
Q-tips
deodorant
4 toothbrushes
3 toothpastes
10 razors
foot cream
hand cream
body lotion
facial lotion
sunscreen
foot brush
bar of soap
pumice stone
wash cloth
shampoo
conditioner
body spray

‘Medical’ Supplies
latex gloves
2 instant cold packs
~200 disinfecting handwipes
aloe vera gel
insect repellent
Pepto Bismal
Immodium
Tums
Airborne
Nyquil gel caps
Neosporin lip balm
Icy Hot cream
aspirin
vitamins
7-day pill dispenser (for my malaria meds)
mosquito headnet
snake bite kit
small first aid kit

Electronics & Equipment
SLR camera
lots of film
digital camera
2 memory cards
extra camera batteries
disposable cameras
travel tripod
laptop
2 zip drives
a few blank CDs
recorder and tapes
batteries, batteries and more batteries

Books
Bible (a gift from Jess)
Shakespeare’s sonnets (I can’t be completely deprived of the Bard!)
The Little Prince
Pride and Prejudice
as many novels as my carry-on can hold!

Personal Items
stationary
cushioned mailing envelopes
regular envelopes
2 journals
3 wrapped Christmas presents from my mom!
U.S. stamps (to send letters back w/ visitors)

Everything Else
2 unfitted full sheets
1 pillowcase
4 decks of cards
dice
calculator
gifts for local children (Hot Wheels, stickers, rings, etc.)
gift for homestay family (San Diego calendar)
mesh bag
Ziploc bags
Ziploc storage containers
2 rain ponchos
Oxy Clean wipes
stain-remover sticks
world map
atlases - US and world
Peace Corps map (shows the countries where PCVs serve)
scotch tape
duct tape
various sizes of spiral notebooks
post-it notes
2 handkerchiefs
2 Nalgene bottles
3 carabineers
extra pair of glasses
1 pair prescription sunglasses
glasses cleaning solution
glasses cleaning cloths
lemonade, fruit punch, and iced tea mixes
dried ice cream
sewing kit
emergency candles

1 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And to think you got all that under the 80 pound weight limit. Way to go little sis... :)

Meghan

 

Post a Comment

<< Home