Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Staging's Almost Over!

My Staging in D.C. is nearly complete. Tomorrow morning, I head off to clinic to get immunizations with my fellow PCTs (Peace Corps Trainees). Then, we head to the airport to begin our journey to Africa. I'm not really looking forward to the 15 and a half hour flight but am excited to know that soon enough, I will be on African soil.

Staging has actually been more informative and more fun than I had expected. Although we have not recieved much country-specific information, I am more aware of what issues I will likely face as a Volunteer and how best to address them. I have learned a bit more about Namibia and have also been greatly comforted by the knowledge that many of my fellow PCTs feel just as unprepared and perhaps, unqualified as I do. I have been reassured that the training we will recieve during our first 8 weeks in Namibia will provide us with all the information we need to succeed as Volunteers.

I have also learned that the flexibility PC stressed through my application process will have to be extended throughout my tour of service. Today, I asked one of our Staging directors when, as a Health Volunteer, I will find out what my job will be. [The situation for the Education Volunteers in our group is quite different as their roles are much more defined.] Her reply was, "You should know by year two." I have been anxiously awaiting word on what I will be asked to do as a Health Volunteer and was at first, somewhat dismayed by the answer. But I am also enthusiastic about the flexibility that such a position offers. I may be able to better meet the needs of the community I will serve if I do not have a strict job description to fill. I think the lack of definition will present a greater challenge to me as a Volunteer and I actually am rather looking forward to that.

As for my fellow PCTs, there are 67 trainees in my group (more than I had anticipated!). The majority of the trainees will be Education Volunteers -- there are only about 22 Health Volunteers including myself. We are a group with fairly diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. We also have a good percentage of older volunteers. Worldwide, only about 6% of PCVs are older, but in our group we have at least 10%. I am quite pleased to serve with such a variety of people and I look forward to getting to know everyone better. Having only been here for two days, I still have not mastered all 66 names but I am working on that!

1 Comments:

At 8:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
As always I loved talking to you tonight and understand it may be awhile before you can call again. I'm hoping you'll have access to the internet when you get over there. Hopefully the shots you have to get tomorrow won't be too horrible. Rest up on that long plane trip and know how very proud I am of you. So many people were asking about you when I went back to work today. Guess it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why I was out. It was totally for a good cause!
Take care. I love you mucho.
xoxox
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home