Thursday, March 01, 2007

What Do You Do At Your Job?

For those still in the dark, I am working for the Regional Ministry of Youth Office in Gobabis. The office is charged with providing activities for local youth (ages 15-35). As far as I know, the only functioning youth group in Gobabis is the choir. Other than assisting with that, my office coordinates annual events for important days (such as World AIDS Day or World Water Day).

My job is to initiate youth programs and assist with the planning of events. Thus far, I’ve been at my site for about eight weeks now and haven’t accomplished a whole lot. The pace of life here is much much slower than what I’m accustomed to; I’m still settling into the rhythm of things here. Although I have yet to begin any on-going programs, I do have a number of them in mind. The first one that I will start (on March 12) is a Girls’ Club which will consist of about fifteen teenaged girls. I hope to empower them to make positive life choices by helping them to develop self-esteem and life skills. That’s a rather vague description, but I’ll update more as things progress. Other than the Girls’ Club, I am considering starting a town newspaper, forming a drama group, and reactivating the Child Justice Forum (which advocates for the rights of incarcerated minors). I have a list of about twenty total ideas, but those are the ones I plan to focus on for the immediate future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home