Friday, November 24, 2006

My Site Assignment

My access to internet is rather limited here so I have been unable to update the site for some time. Anyway, to very quickly recap Pre-Service Training, it feels like months have gone by since I left the States. So much information has been thrown my way that it is hard to remember everything. There are a lot of people to meet, is much knowledge to acquire, and are many emotions to sort through. But it has been a wonderful few weeks and I am doing very very well.

Today, we received our site placements (basic information about where we will live and what will be doing for the next two years!). The past few days have been very trying for me as I experienced some unexpected changes regarding my assignment. When I began training, I was placed in the Afrikaans language group but two days ago, my Placement Director informed me that I was being switched to Otjiherero. I was rather disappointed with this because it would mean significant changes to my site location – namely I would be leaving southern Namibia and heading to the northwest (over 8 hours away from the capital). Additionally, I would be switching jobs and would be further away from other volunteers as there are only 3 people in our group learning that language. Anyway, long story short – I got switched back to my original placement today and am absolutely ecstatic about it!

I will be living in Gobabis, a town about two and a half hours east of Windhoek. Another PCV from my group is stationed in the same town and I am going to live with a PCV from Group 25. I will be working for the Ministry of Youth educating young people about HIV/AIDS. I am not yet sure of all that the job will entail but I am thrilled to be able to use my love of kids and of leadership development to hopeful make an impact on the epidemic that is ravaging this country.

We all leave our Training site, Okahandja, tomorrow to head out to the various corners of Namibia for our visits to our permanent sites. We will be staying at our permanent sites for about four days, meeting our supervisors and colleagues, being introduced to community leaders, verifying our housing situations, and just getting acclimated to life in Namibia. After that, we have to hike (take taxis, trains, etc.) to our Community Based Training (CBT) sites. My site is in Tsumeb along with all the other Health Trainees. The Education Trainees have two sites located up in the north.

During CBT, we live with host families so that we can practice the local languages and adjust to the culture; we also acquire additional technical knowledge about our jobs (so for me, learning and teaching youth about HIV). CBT lasts for about three weeks and then everyone reassembles back here in Okahandja for a final week of language testing and further training.

Although I have only known my fellow PCTs for a few weeks, I really am going to miss seeing everyone over the next few weeks. I am incredibly excited about visiting my site and CBT and I am really looking forward to beginning my service!

4 Comments:

At 2:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

During our phone conversation yesterday you sounded pretty frustrated and I'm so relieved that this assignment has worked out for you.
xoxox
Mom

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are happy to see that you got moved back into your orginal placement. Dad has been here the last few days for thanksgiving. Had a nice dinner at one of my friends. Hope all is well. We think of you all the time and miss you loads.

Love, Meghan and Dad

 
At 1:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY!!! I'm glad that you're happy with your placement! And what's this about a phone conversation?! I need to get my hands on this number . . .
XO, A

 
At 7:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Kate. good luck with your experience. you guys down there are doing an awesome job by volunteering. anyway, if you read this while you are in Okahandja could you please tell Holly Banaszak i said hi and "I DO and I WILL". This is from WGHL.
Thank you sooo much...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home