Monday, February 26, 2007

My Wish List

Last Edited: May 13th

For the most part, the items that I want and need are available here in Namibia. However, they are often too expensive to buy on my meager PC salary or too difficult to find (per example, it took me over two weeks to find hangers). Some items are a bit like magic – one day you see them at the store, the next you don’t (three weeks later, I’m still waiting for the chicken filets to return to the local grocery store). For those who've expressed interest in sending care packages (for which I will be eternally grateful), below is a list of items I particularly would like (most of which cannot be found in-country…I think). If you do mail me a package, please refer to the 'My Contact Info' page which has updated information/recommendations on sending mail here.

o Scrabble, Apples to Apples, or any other game that I can play with local kids to improve their English vocabulary
o UNO, SKIP-BO card decks
o Deflated soccer balls, basketballs, or kick balls
o Craft project ideas for my Girls’ Club
o A large world map to put up at my office so I can show people that I came a LONG way to work here in Africa
o Things to put on my bedroom wall (like pictures, maps, posters)
o DVDs (copies, bootlegs or originals…I don’t care!)
o Mixed music CDs (old or new music)
o Dental floss (they don’t sell the waxed kind here)
o Deodorant (what they sell here really doesn’t work)
o Good recipes (that don’t require any fancy/expensive ingredients; you are welcome to email those rather than mail them)
o Fajita spice packets/any other Mexican spices
o Snack foods (plain goldfish, Nilla wafers)
o Fruit snacks! (like Gushers, Fruit Roll-Ups, or the store-brand ones in the shapes of dolphins, Peanuts characters, etc.)
o Chicken bouillion cubes
o Candy (Sour Patch Kids, Snickers, Butterfingers, etc.)
o Ziploc bags (send items inside of them!)
o Tampons and pads (they serve as a deterrent to postal thieves if packed around items!)
o Heating pad (the kind you put in boiling water)

Publications Wish List
Sadly, the M-Bags have been cancelled in the US so there is no longer a cheap postal rate for publications. Hence, I don't expect anyone to mail any of these items. However, since my mother has so kindly sent six M-Bags, I think I shall have enough reading material for the duration of my service!

o Shakespeare plays
o Magazines

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home