Friday, April 20, 2007

The Essence of Time

As you are likely aware, down here in Namibia the seasons are opposite those that I experienced in the States. Here, we are just finishing summer and approaching winter. Although there are no changing leaves or crisp winds, fall is just on the horizon. With the slight drop in temperature and the occasional gray storm, I am beginning to long for the fall season I grew accustomed to in Boston. I wish I could take another roadtrip through Vermont to check out the foliage with my mother. I long to carve pumpkins and pass out candy to giddy toddlers in adorable costumes. I want to anxiously await winter’s first sprinkling of snow. But alas, none of those things are going to happen out here because although winter is approaching, it is not October no matter how much I wish that it was. So while I feel like I ought to be mailing my mother a birthday card (her b-day is October 16th) or running about trying to find a Halloween costume, I’m actually celebrating Easter, wondering how I ought to commemorate the fourth of July, and thinking wistfully about my celebrations of Shakespeare’s b-day with the Shakespeare Society in Boston (for those who don’t know, his 443rd birthday is April 23rd).

So as you can see, time is a fluid and very confusing matter for me here. I frequently forget what month it is and have difficulty figuring out what season it is. Time seems to go by quickly and slowly simultaneously. While it seems like I have been here forever, I’m shocked that the month of April has already approached. On the 22nd, I will be reuniting with my fellow Group 26 PCVs for our Reconnect Training in Windhoek. I’m very excited to be seeing everyone again but cannot comprehend that one-sixth of our service is already complete! Time is just so confusing…

1 Comments:

At 3:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so loved that road trip to Vermont as well and think about it often. Remember when every time there was even the slightest turn in the road I would be breathless again over the beauty? I even brought leaves back to San Diego--how bad was that! I know some day we'll do it again.
xoxox
Mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home